Spend a morning or afternoon amongst the Thousand Hills of Rwanda, floating down a gentle river in modern canoes. Float through fields at the foothills of the Virunga’s Volcanoes mountain range. This offers guests a special way of discovering a different way to travel, soaking up impressive views, watching abundant birds, looking out for otters, meeting friendly communities. Along the way interact with friendly farmers in the dramatic back drop of the towering volcanoes. Your accompanied guide will help translate so that the farmers can show you their produce and answer any questions you may have.
The waterway is mostly flat, with one small rapid that can easily be avoided with a short section where the water flows a little faster, allowing you to cruise and enjoy the scenery without effort. This is a great opportunity to give bird watching a go with more than 20 species being spotted on any given trip.
TIMELINE OF ACTIVITIES DURING THE YEAR
Trips are available every day, where you will be collected from your hotel or in central Musanze, or otherwise meet at La Silene, a café near the river on the Kigali Road, just outside of town. You will be dropped off at your preferred location afterwards in Musanze.
CHOOSE A MORNING OR AFTERNOON DEPARTURE:
Morning departure: 08:30am returning to Musanze 12:30pm
Afternoon departure: 14:00pm returning to Musanze 18:00pm
All trips are accompanoed by an experienced guide who will give you full instructions, each trip takes upto 4hrs from pick up to drop off, with about 21⁄2 - 3 hours spenton the water.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT CANOEING ON MUKUNGWA RIVER
- Children from seven years are very welcome.
- No previous experience is necessary, you will be given instructions by your guide
- No hippos or crocodiles are is the water
- Guides have a waterproof camera to take photos of you which are shared after your trip
- If you prefer to hire your own waterproof camera it’s $30 and you can keep the SD card
- 1 guide for every 6 guests is provided
- Please bring a water bottle that will be filled with water for you for free